I feel a bit like a fraud sharing this recipe with you. The truth is, I only just began drinking coffee regularly, and by “coffee,” I mean, “vanilla chai lattes,” which don’t actually contain coffee. Uh.
But anyone who knows me will tell you that I’ve almost certainly got some sort of innate, internal caffeine production system. After all, I’ve got the energy of a die-hard coffee addict, I talk at the pace of a Gilmore, and I tap dance. I TAP DANCE. That must win me some degree of brownie points and/or kinship with even the most patrician of espresso-sipping sophisticates.
And while I haven’t yet (yet!) fallen in love with blacker-than-night-no-milk-no-sugar-*coffee*-coffee, I have become more and more enamored with the idea of said coffee-coffee. Especially as the winter days get shorter and my schedule gets busier. I mean, what’s not to love? It’s a drink that doesn’t just taste good; it revitalizes you. It reincarnates you. It thrusts you back out into the world with a SPRING in your STEP.
And I can appreciate that. See, coffee drinkers? I understand you. I get you.
Only, in order to join in the fun, I needed more than just milk and sugar. I needed whipped cream, peppermint extract, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a whole slew of other masking ingredients you can learn about if you just continue to scroll to the recipe part of this post. Including, of course, rum.
The fact of the matter is, whether you love coffee or are just a good-for-nothin’ try-hard like me, you’ll love this. I promise. Scroll on, wannabes. Scroll on.
P.S. Yes, you can totally use coffee ice cubes (freeze coffee in an ice cube tray; voila!) instead of regular ice cubes if that suits your fancy, but I didn’t, because, really, who has time for that?! And that’s coming from someone who just had a 2-hour photo shoot with a cup of cold brew. So.
Spiked Cold Brew with Peppermint Whipped Cream
MAKES 2 COCKTAILS.
What you’ll need:
- 2 16-oz. cups or mason jars
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 16 oz. cold brew coffee
- 3 fl. oz. dark rum
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 16 oz. heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavoring or extract
- Crushed peppermint candies, to garnish
What you’ll do:
- Mix together cold brew, rum, milk, spices, and vanilla in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Using a whisk (or a hand mixer on medium speed if your physical strength, like mine, is less than optimal), whip together cream, sugar, and peppermint flavoring in a cold metal bowl until the mixture reaches stiff peaks.
- Divide maple syrup into cups. Add ice, then add half of your cold brew concoction to each cup.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candies. Drink up!