It’s almost the Fourth—yay! And after all the barbecued kabobs, hotdogs, and burgers, you’ll prooobably be left yearning for something to sweeten the deal. You could, of course, opt for a flag cake or a tray of cupcakes. But if you’re hoping to counteract all of that red meat with some lighter fare…I suggest you make this.
(Also, sorry for all the flag cake hate in my recent posts. I actually love flag cakes. For real. I’ll probably even make one this weekend.)
Anyway. This is a red, white and “Boozy” salad (get it?!?) I threw together for Shape Magazine. I don’t have a lot to say about because, I mean, it’s a fruit salad. It’s so easy to throw together—yes, even that fancy-looking apple garnish. And before you start making excuses…I don’t own a star cookie cutter, either! I just used a knife and freehanded it.
And it looks fine. Right? Right.
But you could totally use a cookie cutter for more precise results.
Find the recipe below!
Red, White & Boozy Fruit Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 5 large apples, any kind
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, greens cut off, fruit cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl, mix the grand marnier, lime juice, andhoney until well combined.
- Place the strawberries, blueberries, andraspberries together in a large bowl. Add the boozy mixture and toss to combine.
- Just before serving, peel and chop 3 of the apples into small cubes. Place these at the bottom of whatever individual containers you’ll be serving the fruit salad in, then top with the berries.
- Peel the remaining apples, then cut them into ½-inch thick slices. Cut the slices into stars using cookie cutters, or carefully freehand the design using a knife.
- Top each portion of fruit salad with one star and serve immediately! If you won’t be serving for a short while, be sure to sprinkle the apple stars with some fresh lemon juice to keep them from browning.