ok. i know what you’re thinking. cauliflower? in a smoothie bowl?! really?
i know this because a) i had a similar initial reaction when i first saw these veggie smoothies floating around on instagram, and b) my sister nearly had a heart attack when i told her i’d be making a video about these guys.
but you’ve got to admit that as far as veggies go, cauliflower is a pretty non-offensive one. it’s white, it’s relatively bland, and when you whip it up in a smoothie, you can barely taste it. actually, I’d go so far as to say you can’t taste it at all. besides, the whole fruit smoothie craze has been pretty much maxed out at this point, and i have a feeling veggie-based smoothies are the next food trend frontier. since it may not be long before your go-to drink spot is doling these out by the dozen (and your friends are subsequently instagramming them like their lives depend on it), you might as well get a headstart at home.
plus, as unappetizing as a cauliflower smoothie might sound at first, when you really think about it, the idea of a veggie smoothie really isn’t that out-there. you probably already order kale smoothies on the reg, don’t you? and occasionally add in some avocado (okay, avocado is technically a fruit, but you get the idea)? you’ve taken the baby steps; now, take a full leap.
if you’re still not convinced, the good news is that this particular recipe does involve some fruit, and there’s even a little bit of sweetener in the form of honey. yay!
strawberry-cauliflower smoothie bowl
makes 2-3 servings!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower florets (you can buy these at the supermarket or freeze them yourself the night before!)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup frozen strawberries, leaves cut off
- 1 ½ tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons honey and more to taste
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- add the cauliflower to your blender, and pulse to grind down at least some of it into smaller pieces. next, add in the almond milk and continue to blend.
- finally, add the almond butter and honey and blend. taste, and add more honey to sweeten as needed.
- pour the mixture into a bowl and top with more strawberries. drizzle with more honey; enjoy!